Family Plus/Life Solutions
Tips for Dealing with Stress
Stress is the mental and/or physical tension that can result from adapting to any number of changes. Stress can result from a variety of things such as traffic, noise, deadlines, financial difficulties, family conflict, illness etc.
Stress can be seen as a natural part of everyday life. But in the fast paced society in which we live, excessive stress is all too common. Because too much stress can be harmful to us, it is important to be aware of the stress in our lives and learn to manage it effectively.
Helpful Hints for Dealing with Stress
- Take a break when you feel your stress level rising. A change of task, a short walk, a few minutes of stretching or deep breathing can often help.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to do things so that you are not always feeling rushed.
- Give yourself permission to take a break. Relax, read a book, watch a movie.
- Exercise regularly. Walking, gardening or any other physical activity you enjoy will relieve stress and tension.
- Pick your battles. Set priorities for yourself so that you can be more flexible when it comes to the less important things in your life.
- If needed, meet with a counsellor you trust to help manage your stress more effectively.
An Action Plan
It can be very helpful to have people who can support you when you are having difficulties. Print out the Help Plan, then identify some people you can rely on to help you through any difficulties you may be experiencing.