Family Plus/Life Solutions
Tips for Dealing with Grief
Grief is a normal and expected response to any loss, not just death. It is the process that helps us adapt to the changes that come with loss.
All of us grieve in our own way. The grieving process takes time and is hard work! It can be difficult to cope with the changes that come with loss and, therefore, some people may find that they need help to deal with the losses that they have experienced.
Tips to Assist You Through the Grief Process
- Take enough time. It is difficult to estimate a normal grieving period. It may take longer than you expect, so be patient with yourself.
- Express your feelings. Allow yourself to feel sadness, anger or any other emotions you are experiencing.
- Take care of your physical health through regular exercise and a healthy diet.
- Plan to keep busy during days that remind you of your loss (e.g. birthdays, holidays, weekends). Spend this time with supportive and caring people.
- Practice relaxation exercises.
- Reach out for help. Let others know when you need companionship and support. Meeting with a counsellor can be helpful throughout the grieving process.
An Action Plan
Having people to support you through any difficulties you may be experiencing can be helpful while you are working through your grief. Print out the Help Plan, then identify some people you can rely on to help you through any difficulties you may be experiencing.