Family Plus/Life Solutions
Tips for Dealing with Depression
We all experience feeling “down” or “blue” once in a while. However, for people with depression, these feelings often occur several days a week or for many weeks at a time. People who are depressed can also experience:
- Changes in sleep patterns, weight and eating habits.
- A loss of interest in appearance and other things that were once enjoyable.
- Feelings of fatigue and energy loss.
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness.
A person who is depressed can experience changes that affect virtually every aspect of their life! If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above symptoms, it could mean some help is needed.
Some Tips for Coping with Depression:
- Meet with your doctor. Tell him/her about your symptoms. Get a good check-up.
- Arrange to meet with a counsellor who can help you manage your depression.
- Practice using relaxation techniques such as meditation, slow breathing or muscle relaxation.
- Avoid sugar, caffeine and fatty foods. Stick to a regular, healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly. This can ease tension, elevate your mood and increase general feelings of well-being.
- Practice sending yourself positive, encouraging messages.
- Try developing a daily routine and work at sticking to it.
An Action Plan
Having people to support you can be an important part of working through depression. Print out the Help Plan, then identify some people you can rely on to help you through any difficulties you may be experiencing.